Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why I Conserve

I believe we live in the greatest country on the planet, but I am concerned because we are passing too much debt onto the next generation through our own reckless spending and wasteful choices. Our kids do not need more stuff or a bigger and better house or car. They need us. They need our time. My goal is to inspire and encourage people to live simpler lives and pare down debt from our own personal debt right up to what mind-boggling spending is happening in Washington, D. C.

I know how hard it can get. When I was a teen, my parents went bankrupt and we seemed to have less than anyone around us. Fortunately, my mother who spent her childhood in wartorn Europe, practically starving and escaping bombs, taught us how to make the best of the worst. To all of you struggling to make ends meet, let me reassure you. While they may not admit it, our kids really don't want more stuff if they can have more of you and your time. They look to you for leadership and will accept simpler lives if you set a tone of optimism!

Like everyone, my family of four is tightening its belt. Last spring, my teenaged son (fifteen-year-old Goliath) and I attended Acquire the Fire. After a moving presentation on the plight of children in the poorest of poor countries, we decided to give up one fast food meal a week for a savings of $10. In one year, that equals $520, or $43 a month. What did he want to do with that money? We sponsored a child through Compassion International. We recently started volunteering for Meals on Wheels, delivering hot meals to seniors in our area and, during our second foray, Goliath asked, "Do you think I can do this in college?"

I made a video to inspire the YouTube and MySpace crowd on how a simple sacrifice can do so much!



I know many of you out there are drowning in debt. I am not proud of the size of my credit card debt either. Think about this: the average mortgage payment is about $1687. Fasting two fast food meals a week for a whole year saves enough money to cover almost 1/3 of a mortgage payment.

Your waistline will thank you!

No comments: